Saturday, February 25, 2012

Video

So, if anything these mini-art projects are forcing me to use software that I have never used before.  Though I have iMovie and Garage Band on my Mac, I never really had the time or the interest to learn to use them.  I used both to construct this video.  Creating the video took me a few hours because I was learning the software but I can see that with a little more time and practice this assignment would have gone fairly quickly and smoothly.

The images from the video come mostly from Getty Images, however, some are from the multimedia sites themselves in the second part of the video.  I wanted to contrast the past against the present and show how technology has changed.  I also left out images of classrooms because I didn't feel like they conveyed the true power and potential of technology and learning.  Many of the images were similar to the vintage images I found of schools - in neat rows, working alone, except with a computer in front of the student.


4 comments:

  1. Great job with this. The concept is killer and the use of old photos and concepts and how they transformed is spot on. I'm realizing more and more how talented this class is! We could totally create some pretty cool web and video content all together. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Jim, love what you did. I loved how you used media to reflect on the subject of media and how it is transforming our educational lives (I hope this was not the only subject we could reflect on with our video, if so, I missed that). I thin k that images you chose flowed nicely with the narrative. I also like the consistency of where and how your text flowed through the movie; it made it very easy to follow. It is truly amazing how learning has changed, I can’t imagine what it will look like 25 or 30 years form now when we are ready to retire. Will the concept of the school house as we know it today even exist? I have to yes. Yes because we still have a lure to our hometown school, I do feel the school building is still a fabric in our community but what happens inside these building is what will change dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    You did a great job choosing specific images for your video. Even without the words, the images alone send such a strong message about how technology is changing our world. Your choice of music is good too - I almost feel like I'm in Tomorrow Land at the Magic Kingdom. The only constructive criticism I have is to be careful when using red text. My vision is decent, and sometimes red is difficult to read. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim,

    This is an excellent video. You really analyzed your subject matter critically, just like the exercise required you to. I like the use of red text. It contrasts nicely with the black words in your animation. The photos you chose have a sense of nostalgia to them, which I think really helps to illustrate your point...where education was and where it is going! Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete